“As motor vehicles became more common and efficient, and less costly, the ladies of the community by various fund-raising activities obtained enough money to purchase and equip a Chevrolet hose truck (for the fire company) as another step toward modernism. With the change to a motor vehicle a new building seemed desirable to house this new equipment. Acting in character, the citizens did not go to town for funds, but raised them by subscription. This new fire station rose slowly as funds were available. The foundation was laid in 1914. A year later the sills and floor were added. Another twelve months wait and the superstructure arose. This was in plan essentially what the building is today. Besides the engine room on the first floor there was a dining room, a kitchen, and a small library. On the second floor a hall provided a new meeting-place for public gatherings, once supplied by other halls previously mentioned in this chronicle. Some years later this building was moved back to allow more sidewalk space and a less obstructed view at this important corner.”
Melville C. Freeman “History of Cape Porpoise”


